The Introduction to Global Business Certificate offers an overview of fundamental business skills from a global perspective. Designed to provide an engaging learning environment for international and domestic participants having limited work experience, this program presents opportunities for comparing and contrasting business practices around the globe. Students enroll in Strategic Business Development for the Global Marketplace, a course that requires the design of a business plan for product concepts to be sold in the global marketplace. Beyond that course, students gain practical knowledge of International Marketing and Global Economics.
The program series enables students to:
- Develop business skills, knowledge, and abilities by learning business fundamentals from a global perspective.
- Participate in multiple business courses and get broad exposure to different business disciplines, including business accounting, operations, marketing, human resources, communication, negotiation, and strategic planning.
- Gain practical knowledge and skills by engaging in case study analysis, cross-cultural negotiations, and design/presentation of business plans.
- Study alongside International and American students and build professional networks.
To be eligible for the “Introduction to Global Business” certificate, participants must complete a total of 12 units. Students may include up to 4 units of regular session UCSB courses toward completion of this certificate. These courses must be in the area(s) of business, economics, global studies, management, and/or environmental studies (with business and/or global emphasis). International students will enroll in these regular session courses through Open University. UCSB matriculated students will submit an approval request for a particular course they wish to count toward completion of a certificate. To petition for this substitution, please fill out the petition form.
Program Course Schedule
Required: 3 courses (12 units)
- Strategic Business Development in the Global Marketplace (F/W/Sp) - 4 units
- International Marketing (F/W/Sp) - 4 units
- Global Economics (F/Sp) - 4 units
Courses are offered across 4 academic quarters: fall, winter, spring and summer. For more information visit Approved Academic Calendar.